← Back to recipes
Bayou Red Bean Layered Dip
Submitted by: Wholly Guacamole®
- 1 lb Red Beans, rinsed and sorted over, soaked and drained
- 2 Cups of Tomatoes, Seeded and Small Dice
- 2 Small Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Celery Rib, diced
- 2 Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 4 Sprigs of Thyme
- Cajun Seasoning Spice to taste
- 1 Quart Vegetable Stock
- 1 Garlic Clove, Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Bay Leaf
- Cayenne Pepper to taste
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Cajun Red Bean Layer: In a large saucepan, heat the oil. When the oil is hot, add ½ the onions,1/2 the celery, and 1/2 the bell peppers to the saucepan. Season the vegetables with Cajun spice, salt and cayenne. Sauté the vegetables for 5 minutes or until the vegetables start to wilt. Add the bay leaves, thyme and Sauté for 5 to 6 minutes. Add the beans, garlic, and stock. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 2 hours or until beans are tender, uncovered. Add more stock or water if the mixture becomes dry and thick. Remove the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Puree Cajun Red Beans and set aside.
- Creole Layer: In a large saucepan, heat the oil. When the oil is hot, add the remaining onions, garlic, celery, and bell peppers to the saucepan. Season the vegetables with salt and cayenne. Sauté the vegetables for 5 minutes or until the vegetables start to wilt. Add tomatoes and Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Bayou Comes Together: In a 9-inch dish, spread the Cajun Red Beans on the bottom. Add the Creole spreading evenly over the Red Beans, and repeat the Cajun Red Ben layer. Garnish with Chopped Green Onions and Serve with the Cajun Spiced Baked Tortilla Chips.